Our goal is to bring Chinese students in developing areas a greater opportunity to apply the English language and improve their oral communication, in a way traditional testing and drilling alone cannot. Our program is based on an approach that emphasizes practice, participation, creativity and relationship building, to get students using the language for its primary purpose!
Teach English to Chinese Students!
- Six week internship program
- Intensive on-site training
- Two 10 day teaching periods
- Native level English speaking university students and bilingual Chinese university students to form one whole teaching group
- Classes focus on practice, communication and participation
- Program held at a local school in Pingxiang
- Get a chance to experience a different side of China from that of the more widely known cities!
The program is divided into three parts, starting off with training and orientation for program volunteers/interns, followed by two separate teaching periods, lasting ten days each, featuring different groups of students each time. There are two to three days off between different parts of the program to allow our volunteers to relax and explore the city more.
- Spend time with our founder receiving exclusive seminars on topics relevant to China; better understand the world you’ve entered!
- Receive training in teaching English as a foreign language.
- Learn to use exiting lesson plans to lead your own classes.
- Work together to write lesson plans covering a wide range of topics for students at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.
- Each class will consist of approximately 15-29 students depending on the level you are teaching.
- Volunteers will lead classes, teaching three to five different topics throughout a given teaching period, teaching one topic for two or three days at a time.
Class Topics and Activities
- Each intern will dedicate two or three days of class to each of their three to five selected topics.
- Topics include but not limited to humor, music, theme parks, food, nature, etc.
- Students are encouraged to be creative and expressive, taking on interactive projects and participating in group activities.
WE NEED YOU!
Local students start to study English in primary school. But not many of them can communicate fluently in basic English. Over a half number of them (in Pingxiang) do not have a chance to converse with a native level English speakers.
Improve their English communication skills!
Increase their confidence to converse with others in English!
Allow for a trial run of an alternative English teaching and learning method!
What will you take away from this once-in-a-lifetime adventure?
- Lesson planning and teaching skills
- Presentation, writing, and communication skills
- Knowledge of China and its culture
- Make a tangible impact on English education in China
- Ability to motivate and enthuse other people
- Ability to think on feet
- Ability to cooperate with people from different cultures
- And many other abilities that you may not acquire before!
Photos courtesy of summer 2016 program participants! 🙂